Sunday, November 21, 2010

Red Velvet Angel Food Cake


First off, it was sooo cold in SoCal yesterday! :( Freezing! I love the rain but the weather following the rain wasn't so...great! I ended up sleeping with two different blankets! Anyways...that's my rant for today! haha :)

So the recipe that I want to share with you all is Red Velvet Angel Food Cake! Who loves a good old red velvet cupcake? And who like angel food cakes? Me...and me! :) I love the subtle chocolate flavor and lovely cream cheese frosting that's key for red velvet cupcakes. And I'm a HUGE fan of angel food cakes (please look at previous posts). So when Faye posted up pictures of an Red Velvet Angel Food Cake a few days ago, I was definitely excited to give it a try...it's the best of both worlds! :) Like having two desserts in one? hehe :)

I was actually planning on baking cornbread yesterday...but someone (aka my brother) ate all the corn kernels :( So I decided to skip baking anything for this weekend until I remembered Faye's recipe! As I mentioned, the weather fell below 45 degrees F where I happen to live and my parents went to the sauna at night. My brother and I were bored and craving something to satisfy our sweet tooth. I suggested that we make the Red Velvet Angel Food Cake and my brother, who had yet to try a red velvet cupcake in his 16+ years of living, readily agreed. Is it weird that he's never tried a red velvet cupcake? I mean, I've baked it a few times but where was this boy?! haha :) Anyways, so the story goes that he agreed to bake this angel food cake with me. Sibling bonding time much? Yup! :D

I was somewhat skeptical to make this yesterday just because there was lot of moisture in the air due to the rainfall. And egg whites are not necessarily the best friends with moisture, humidity, etc. Thank goodness for the creation of cream of tartar though because this turned out yummy and will definitely be a keeper! :D So for those of you that are angel food cake fans and red velvet cupcakes fans, please give this recipe a try! You won't regret it! :)

Red Velvet Angel Food Cake
Recipe from Faye
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups egg whites (10-12 large), room temperature
1 1/2 cups caster sugar, divided
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp red vegetable food coloring
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325F.
1. In a small bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup sugar, the cocoa powder and the cake flour. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites until frothy, then add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until fully incorporated then begin to add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar 1-2 tablespoons at a time. When sugar has been added, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add the warm water, vanilla, food coloring and lemon extract and beat for a few seconds to evenly distribute.
3. Sift the flour/sugar/cocoa powder mixture over the egg whites in 6-8 additions and gently fold it in after each addition. Take your time and do it gently to avoid deflating the egg whites.
4. Spoon or pour batter into an to an ungreased spring form or 9 inch tube pan with a removeable bottom. Smooth the top with a spatula and tap the pan on the counter once or twice to ensure that there are no large bubbles lurking beneath the surface.
5. Bake for 40-42 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly pressed. Transfer the cake straight to the freezer while preparing the frosting. Freezing the cake before frosting helps to make the frosting smoother and to avoid crumbs when slicing the cake in two for filling.

*Note: A few of the pictures during the process. The lighting wasn't so great in the kitchen last night so I ended up with pictures that weren't of the best quality. So, here's some pictures during the process.
Cocoa powder:

My brother separating the egg yolks and egg whites. It was his first time but he's pretty good! :)

We ended up throwing all the egg yolks away because we didn't want to bake anything else. Kind of a waste but oh well~

Brother's first time whipping egg whites too! Proud of him :D

Adding lemon extract, vanilla extract, food coloring. As you can see, I ran out of liquid food coloring so I ended up using gel food coloring.

Love the color. Dislike the fact that it takes so much food coloring to achieve this color!

Off to be baked! :)


Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
1 cupful cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 cupful cool whip, well chilled
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Beat cream cheese and confectioner's sugar till creamy.
2. Add vanilla extract and continue beating for a minute.
3. Fold, do not beat the well chilled Cool Whip till fully incorporated.

Done!

A look at inside the cake.

A bite for all my readers :)

Hope you all enjoy & please stay warm in the cold! Drink lots of tea and watch out for the flu! Take care :D
PS. Here's a link for those that have never made angel food cake before. It's from Alton Brown's show and it was definitely helpful when I made my first angel food cake.

12 comments:

Tea said...

It looks delectable. Thanks for the recipe and delicious pictures. How was the texture? I've only every had the 'Cheesecake Factory' red velvet cheesecake as the only red velvet cake I've tried. Their red velvet cake layers were moist and dense. I'm interested to know how it faired as an angel food cake?

Michelle said...

Tea, Thank you! :) I have to say that the texture was nice and soft :) I'm not sure how the red velvet cheesecake tastes like at Cheesecake Factory but if you like the texture of angel food cakes and the flavor of red velvet cupcakes, I think you'll enjoy this one. If you really want the angel food cake texture, I say that you opt with sprinkling the cake with some powdered sugar at the end. But, if you like the cream cheese flavor from the traditional red velvet cupcake, I'd say go for the frosting :) Hope you bake it sometime :D

yong said...

나...영어로 써야해??ㅋㅋ 읽을순 있어~ 적당히!!^^ 영어 디따 잘한다!! 와우!! 완전 완전 놀랬어~~ㅋㅋ굿잡!! 셸!! 해브어 나이스 데이!^^

Vania Georgieva said...

Looks fantasc! I believe the taste is gorgeous too.

Vania Georgieva said...

I mean fantastic, sorry but I´m in a hurry :)

Medifast Coupons said...

Beautiful red velvet cake, good for you looks wonderful.

Michelle said...

Yong, 이공! 고맙구렴~ ^^ ㅋㅋㅋ 아, 근데 오랫만에 이런거 올리니깐 이상했엉, ㅜㅜ

Vania Georgieva, Thank you :)

Medifast Coupons, Thank you :D

영준 said...

하나하나 처음부터 잘읽었어 ~ 우리 조카한테 이런 능력이 있을줄이야!! 정말로 소질이 있는것같아 ! 소질을 한번 살려보는것도 좋을것같아!! 내가 생각했던것이랑 점점틀려지는거같아 !! 남자가 아닌 여자였어 ^^;; 양파같은뇨자!! ㅎㅎ 영어해석하느라 힘들었지만 그래도 2틀 동안 잘봣어 !!이러면 또 삼촌영어 못한다고 구박하겟지 ? ㅠㅠ 그래도 나름 영어 잘하는데!! 한국에는 회화잘하는 사람 별로없다구 ㅠ
물론있겠지만!!! 삼촌은 못한다고ㅠㅠ 그래도 알아듣는거랑 해석하는거는 좀 가능해 ! 여기다가 전부다 감상평을 쓰고싶지만 ! 조카이해를 못하니깐 참겠어 ㅎㅎ

Michelle said...

삼촌, 진짜 다 읽은거야? 설마! 삼촌 영어 실력 갖고는...흠... ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ 나 원래 여자였어! 여자조카야, ㅜㅜ 남자조카가 아니규!! ㅠㅠ 삼촌, 담 번에는 영어로 댓글 달아...아님, 그냥 무시할꺼야! ㅎㅎㅎㅎ 영어 공부 잘하고 다음번에는 영어로 통화하도록!!!

Erica said...

Hello! I've tried it and it tastes wonderful! :) I'm just wondering if I did make cupcakes out of this recipe, would there be any changes to it? Thank you in advance! :D

Michelle said...

Erica, Thank you Erica for stopping by :) You can definitely make cupcakes. Just make sure to reduce the cooking time and make sure that the cupcake pan has no grease/oil or else it won't cook up properly. Hope you enjoy :)

booking arena said...

Online Cake

Brilliant and gorgeous..I can't wait to try it.