Saturday, November 6, 2010

Purple Sweet Potato Cupcakes


Hello everyone! :) I don't have much time to write this since I have to working on my powerpoint for my language class and an outline for my geography class. :( But, I just wanted to quickly share with you guys this recipe! It's a purple sweet potato cupcake recipe! I actually had a lot of purple sweet potatoes so I wanted to go ahead and make a cupcake out of this! Hope you enjoy & I'll be back with a longer post soon! :) Have a great day!


Purple Sweet Potato Cupcakes
Adapted from Fake Food Free
Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup pureed sweet potato
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp ube flavoring
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Bake purple sweet potatoes in an oven at 410 degrees F for 50 minutes to 1 hour. You can add slits in the sweet potatoes if you want to cook faster. You can check if they're done but poking a hole with a chopstick. If it goes through, it's done. Allow the sweet potatoes to cool and then take off the peel and mash with a fork.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and prep a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until mixed and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

4. Add in the sweet potato and continue to mix until combined. Add the eggs and the vanilla. Mix until all ingredients are combined.

5. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl. Mix just until combined. Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the cupcakes are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake.

6. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and place on a cooling rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before topping with your favorite frosting. I used a cream cheese frosting from All Recipes.

It turned out a little green in the end but it was good. I was sad that the sweet potato flavor wasn't as prominent as I wanted, but it good nonetheless. I could taste more of the cinnamon and ube flavoring than the purple sweet potato itself. I think the cream cheese frosting was more prominent in this recipe. Next time, I'll substitute pumpkin puree for the sweet potato since it's bound to stand out more in the recipe.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just my two cents- you cannot get a prominent flavor from purple potatoes or purple camote if making them into cupcakes. They are better fried, grilled, nuked, boiled, or cooked with coconut milk and sugar to really taste the flavor. They look really nice though like all your creations.

Anonymous said...

oops, my bad, that's my comment. i think i clicked on the wrong button and came up anon.

Faye said...

jees.... again....

Michelle said...

Faye, Agreed! haha...it's so hard getting a prominent sweet potato flavor...it's just better using it as something to make cupcakes more moist~

Anonymous said...

actually, you could have added your ube flavor if you still have some. i think it would have been excellent :-)

Faye said...

again? what's up with me tonight? ha ha ha ha....

HL said...

hm? I've never seen so darkpurple potatoe before is that some kind of taro potatoe?
I think we dont have these kind of ingredients here ~~ and you mentioned 'language class' does that mean you teach them languages?

Faye said...

Michelle, another thing you can make out of your purple sweet potatoes is sprinkle brown sugar, add a little water, cover with aluminum foil and bake till fork tender then add a little butter and marshmallows. pretty much what we do with our candied yams on Thanksgiving. Actually I prefer purple sweet potatoes or the white ones over the regular yams because of the texture.

Michelle said...

Faye, I'll definitely add more ube flavoring and try this again! I liked it because it had a slight cinnamon flavor and I liked the texture but I was sad the sweet potato flavor was absent :( And that's exactly how my aunt works with her sweet potatoes! Yay!!! :)

HL, hello! :) It's been such a long time! :D haha..umm, I'm not really sure about these purple sweet potatoes...some people call them Hawaiian sweet potatoes or ube. It tastes different than the average sweet potato. I have to say that it's less sweeter but it's just as good...especially if you steam them :) And I'm taking a Korean class at school so I can minor in Asian Humanities Studies :)

Anonymous said...

hi, can you substitute white sugar instead of brown.

Michelle said...

Anonymous, Yes you can :) But, if you're looking for a cupcake with a prominent sweet potato flavor, this is not exactly what you should bake haha so just a warning :)