Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Buttermilk Cornbread


I love cornbread. I love the texture. I love the slight brown crust that forms on the top as it bakes away in the oven. I love dipping it in a hearty bowl of chili. In the end I just love cornbread! :D

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I decided to make cornbread but my brother consumed all the corn and there were absolutely no kernels left to be seen in the house. Then I stated that my mom bought canned corn in the most recent post. But, guess what? The corn is now GONE! Brother Cho!! :(

But as usual, I was still craving cornbread so I just decided to make some albeit the lack of actual corn. Cornbread without corn? I've made it like that before! haha :) So I decided to make it once again. Oh yea, by the way, if I actually make errors in my sentences or words are missing, please forgive me. My laptop keypad has been going a little crazy recently. It makes folders by itself and it seems to get stuck? I try to move it around but it works perfectly at one moment then it stops moving the next. I think I might need to visit the Apple store again :( Sigh~ Anyways, I have to keep this post short because I want to publish it before this computer starts going crazy on me again.

Now this cornbread recipe...I found it on All Recipes long time ago and it's the same recipe I've been using for quite some time. I like the 1:1 ratio of flour to cornmeal in the recipe and love the buttery flavor. It's a very basic recipe so you can definitely add your favorite ingredients to give it certain twists. I'd say add cheese, jalapeno, and bacon bits if you want this to stand alone and reduce the sugar by a bit. You can also add dried cranberries to give it another dimension and keep the same amount of sugar as the recipe calls for. Oh yea, definitely cut down the sugar if you prefer a cornbread that's not sweet. This recipe leans towards a sweeter cornbread. :)

Buttermilk Cornbread
Recipe from All Recipes
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
* You can also feel free to add jalapeno, bacon bits, and other toppings of your choice.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan (I just lined mine with foil and then greased it).
2. Melt butter in large skillet (I put it in the microwave for about 45 seconds). Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain.

3. You can also add the toppings of your choice during this period of time. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving everyone! And let us all reflect on what we're truly thankful for :)

5 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

That cornbread looks delicious!

Michelle said...

Chocolate Shavings, Thank you :) It was good :D

Anonymous said...

Hi~~~ sister! I miss you very much!!!

This bread was introduced at me2day~~ right?

Do U know who I am??? I'm 컁컁hahahahaha

시킨대로 영어로 썻어ㅋㅋ 가끔 블로그 올때마다 재미지네~~

지호 said...

P.S. Hurry~ recipe of Hot food!!!

Michelle said...

Anonymous, 컁컁아! 나 다시 미투 하는데? ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ

지호, 지호가...누구지?!? ㅜㅜ