Thursday, September 9, 2010

Perfect Blueberry Muffins

Hello everyone! Sorry I've been MIA for the last week or so. I actually went to visit my relatives in Colorado so I didn't really have the time to cook or bake. I didn't have the most amazing time but it wasn't too shabby either. I'm glad I got to see my mom's side of the family since the last time I visited them was back in 2004...but honestly, it was a bit boring because there's no one to play with around my age group. But, I really really enjoyed visiting the Rockies. It was so cold in the mountains!! But, the view was AMAZING! My camera just couldn't capture the beauty of the mountain...so refreshing after having been in an overpopulated South Korea for 2 months and a suburban area (with nothing much to do). I'm starting school soon too...moving back to the dorms on the 17th actually...so I'm sad to say that I won't be able to update this blog except for the weekends! :( But, I'll be reading all your comments so please keep them coming! :D Anyways, since I've visited Colorado, I wanted to share with you some pictures :) Picture Time! :D

Colorado
In the car...

You see that white spot over there towards the middle, right? They're like little lakes in the mountains...first time I've ever since such things! :D

The Rockies!

Squirrel...they were so small!


Time to move on! Anyways, I also randomly decided to make blueberry muffins today! It's been forever since I've last made muffins :( I'm really (for real this time) going to start dieting tomorrow so I decided to treat my self to these muffins! These are the perfect muffins! Yummm~ I was actually so skeptical with the batter at first...since it's incredibly thick...almost like cookie dough batter! I almost added milk to the batter since it seemed way too thick! But, I trusted the Smitten Kitchen and they are seriously so yummy! I ended up eating 3 by myself...yea, bad! They're not that sweet and the slight scent of lemon makes them refreshing~ They're moist and the scent of butter lingers on the muffins! Give them a try~

Perfect Blueberry Muffins
Smitten Kitchen
Ingredients:
5 tablespoons (2 1/2 ounces or 71 grams) unsalted butter , softened
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces or 100 grams) sugar (I used brown sugar)
1 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups (6 3/4 ounces or 191 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon (7 grams or 1/4 ounce) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda
1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces or 105 grams) blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, don’t bother defrosting)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners or spray each cup with a nonstick spray. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Zest a lemon.

2. Add yogurt and lemon zest to the mixture. Put flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a sifter and sift half of dry ingredients over batter. Mix until combined. Sift remaining dry ingredients into batter and mix just until the flour disappears. Gently fold in your blueberries. The dough will be quite thick (and even thicker, if you used a full-fat Greek-style yogurt), closer to a cookie dough, which is why an ice cream scoop is a great tool to fill your muffin cups. You’re looking for them to be about 3/4 full, nothing more, so you might only need 9 instead of 10 cups.

3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until tops are golden and a tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean (you know, except for blueberry goo). Let cool on rack (ha), or you know, serve with a generous pat of butter.

Enjoy~ Happy baking everyone! :D

7 comments:

audrey said...

My favorite Recipe of yours so far.

Blueberrry muffins are so Tasty !

Chocolate Shavings said...

The texture of those muffins looks just perfect!

Michelle said...

audrey, Thank you! I loved these muffins cause they weren't that sweet :D

Chocolate Shavings, Thank you! It was good! :D

Allykkg said...

Hi!
I would just like everyone to know -- I just made these and they are AWESOME!!

I was a little worried at first when i saw how thick the batter was but they turned out perfect! although they only took about 20 minutes in my oven...

They're picture perfect and delicious.
Thanks for the recipe! I'll be checking out more of your posts soon!

Michelle said...

Allykkg, Yay!! I was definitely worried at first too since the batter seemed wayyy too thick compared to the traditional muffins. I'm glad you liked them :D

Anonymous said...

ooh my they were wonderful! And yes, so much better warm. The second day I just popped the back in the oven to reheat them.

Michelle said...

Anonymous, Yay!!! I'm glad you liked them :D