Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Makgeolli Bread (술빵)


Makgeolli is a type of Korean alcohol often known as Rice Wine. Korean people love drinking it while eating pajun or Korean pancakes! The lesser known use for Makgeolli is Sul Bbang (술빵). It's literally translated as alcohol bread...and it is some yummy stuff! :D I haven't actually made it before and when my grandma gave me the recipe she cut out from a newspaper when I visited Colorado, I knew I had to give it a try! This recipe is pretty good...a tad too sweet when it's warm but it's perfect when it's cold! Next time, I'll try leaving the bread mixture in the refrigerator overnight so that the flavor can develop. I think it'll taste even better! Make sure you allow the bread to cook all the way through or the middle of the dough is going to taste like alcohol (the alcohol burns off during the steaming process). Also, use a cheesecloth in lieu of wet paper towels and such because the bread will stick onto the paper towels. Anyways, hope you enjoy this recipe and I'll be back soon! :D


Makgeolli Bread (술빵)
Ingredients:
1 cup Makgeolli (beer can be substituted)
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar (loosely packed or scant less)
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
* optional ingredients: sesame seeds, raisins, steamed sweet potatoes, steamed pumpkin, pumpkin seeds


Directions:
1. Mix Makgeolli, eggs, salt, and brown sugar in a large bowl to form small bubbles.

2. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mixed until almost free of lumps.

3. Place cheesecloth onto a steamer and pour in the batter. You can top the batter with the optional ingredients.

4. Steam for 30~35 minutes on medium-high heat. You can check to see if it's done by poking a hole in the middle with a wooden chopstick.


Lots of sesame seeds for me! :D


Cut it up!


Get some Makgeolli ready on the side.


Texture! Very moist~

7 comments:

Faye said...

so silly of me, i don't have to google it. it's right here ha ha ha. anyway, the process is almost similar to our steamed rice cake sans the alcohol and of course. and we eat ours with grated fresh coconut.

HL said...

hey how are you doing? :D
Today i finaly found a korean grocery store!! And they even sold ice cream, so i bought a popsickle because you mentioned that ice cream in korea is very tasty and youre right ^^ and bought some more things but at home i found out that everything is written in korean ~~
but tomorrow i will try to make ddukbokki :D (now that i have the ingredients hehe..)

ester said...

do you need to have a cheesecloth for the bread or can you substitute something else for the cheesecloth?

Michelle said...

Faye, Is it weird that I've never tried rice cake with coconut?? Hmmm...I wonder how that'll taste~ haha!

HL, I'm doing great! School is starting tomorrow though unfortunately :( haha...oh well! You bought Korean ice cream?? Yay! Which one did you buy?? I want to see your ddukbbokee! Yumm~

ester, Hello ester! You can use a wet paper towel...I actually used a wet paper towel, but the thing is that is sticks to the rice cake during the steaming process so you have to cut off the sides before serving.

Ester said...

hi again, I tried your recipe for a family friend's birthday. it was a huge hit! For the cheesecloth issue, we just cut up my dad's new undershirt which worked really well. and I also followed your advice about sticking it in the fridge but even in 10 mins, the bread already reeked of makkoli. we used less sugar too, so it was perfect. Thanks for the recipe, it's definitely going to be a keeper :)

HL said...

I tried the ddukbokki and there it is:
http://666kb.com/i/bndgb8pjqeg16orhs.jpg

it looks more like as if someone run over it with a car a few times.
But i was surprised how SPICY it was. Woah .. but i have to say that i'm a weak spicy eater T_T ..

Michelle said...

HL, Yay!! You finally made them! :D Aww, yea...sometimes they're a bit too spicy but I love spicy foods so I'm a huge ddukbbokki fan :D