Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pecan Pie Bars

Hi everyone! It's been too hot these days in southern California to be cranking up the oven. But, since I decided to go on a diet tomorrow (I gained wayyy too much weight in Korea), I decided to give myself a last treat. Actually, my diet was supposed to start on Monday, but since I took out one of my wisdom teeth, I made myself an excuse to eat ice cream...at night (utter failure)! So I decided that I would start my diet today, but I failed again...well, this time it was because my wisdom teeth area was in a lot of pain. I actually had to do surgery to remove my wisdom teeth since it was laying down sideways. It was a relatively quick process this time - probably about 15 minutes - unlike last time which took over 45 minutes. Still, I was in a lot of pain. Anyways, I decided to go ahead and treat myself with this Pecan Pie Bar. I LOVE pecan pie and thought it was just necessary to try these out! Hope you guys enjoy them too! :D

Pecan Pie Bars
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
Crust:
1 1/4 cups AP flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (cold)

Filling:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 jellyroll pan with aluminum foil.

Combine flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut the cold butter into cubes and add to flour mixture.

Toss and use a pastry blender to cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles crumbs the size of peas.
Pour mixture into prepared pan and press into a smooth crust. Poke several holes in the crust with tines of a fork. Bake about 18-20 minutes until light golden brown.

Hello pecans!

Chop up your pecans into small pieces.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and add sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt, and vanilla. Whisk together until smooth.

Add in the chopped pecans.

Incorporate the pecans into the wet mixture.

Pour filling into the pre-baked crust. Return to oven to bake for about 20 minutes until filling is set.

Cool on a wire rack until completely cool.

Use foil to lift bars out of pan and cut into squares.

Pecan pie bars are done! Happy baking everyone! :D

7 comments:

Ana said...

It looks so delicious,that I will have to try it.

Ally said...

These pictures are wonderful! Looks so yummy. Have you put them on Fiddme yet?

Michelle said...

Ana, Thank you! :) Hope you enjoy it! :D

Ally, Thank you! :D I haven't put it on Fiddme...what is that site about??

mysweetestday said...

What a great idea! And yes, it has been too hot in Southern CA to bake! I convince myself that anything with nuts or fruit is healthy so I don't feel too terrible about the calories.

HL said...

thanks for visiting my blog ^^
yeah the first time i saw these shoes where when i saw a picture of 2NE1 too xDD
too bad they don't fit me ~~
they are too big. What a waste D;
i would really like to do your pecan pie bars, but i swore me to go on a diet now, because school is beginning and i orginally intended to loose weight during the summer holidays, but it turned out otherwise ~~ i gained weight...
oh man, this summer i ate soo much icecream !
and i also wanted to try the haägen dasz fondue http://www.248am.com/images/fondue.jpg
(okay it cost's me 25€, but at least i have to try it out once >.<!)
humn .... if sweets could make slimmer,... that would be my dream ! *____* <3

Thi Anh said...

ur blog is wonderful!
u should get more attention :P

where u from?

Michelle said...

mysweetestday, I knoww! haha...my excuse for eating these pecan bars was that they were nuts...even though they have a lot of calories :( haha~

HL, no problem! the pictures on your blog were really fun to look at! :D and what a waste for those shoes!! they're so cute! :) yea, pecan bars are not figure friendly! haha...so i ate only a little bit~ wow, the haagen daz fondue looks amazing!! you should definitely try it out...looks sooo good! :D

Thi Anh, thank you! :D I'm from california! :)