Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fig Galette/Tart


Hello everyone! I'm back home! :D I actually got back yesterday but because I couldn't sleep during my plane ride, I was so tired I couldn't do anything! Overall, I had a great experience in Korea but I'm really glad I'm home. I'm loving the California sun and the slightly breezy weather at night~ And, best of all, no humidity! Oh yeaa~ haha~ Anyways, I'm back in the kitchen and ready to start baking. I was originally planning on making a angel food cake (you guys should know my obsession with those)...haha :D But, I went ahead and made Fig Galette because we have a huge fig tree in the front yard! During August and September, it's war with the squirrels for the sweetest and most plump figs and my dad has been winning so far! He picked out some wonderful figs for us to eat~ So, I wondered...what should I make/bake today with these figs? And then, I decided to make some galette~ I was originally planning on roasting them in the oven and them drizzling them with a balsamic reduction and wrapping them around some prosciutto. But, I'm not a huge fan of prosciutto so I decided to go ahead and make a fig galette. I'm still super tired today so I was hesitant to make these. But, in order to post a new entry - sorry I've been a bit slow in Korea- I went ahead and baked! :) This fig tart consists of frangipane, figs, and cream cheese! Don't be afraid to make the frangipane...it sounds super fancy, but it's pretty much just butter, almonds, sugar, and an egg~ Anyways, here's the recipe! Hope you guys enjoy!

Fig Tart
Adapted from Chez Pim
1/4 the Frangipane recipe below
1 9-inch Pie Dough
7~15 figs (depending on the size)
Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tbsp water)
1/2 tbsp white sugar (to dust galette)
2 oz cream cheese (optional)

Frangipane (Makes enough for 4 9-in tarts or 8 5-in tarts)
Ingredients:
75g whole almonds (about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup of white sugar
3/4 stick butter (room temperature)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Spread the almonds evenly on a baking sheet and place them in the oven. Roast them for about 10 minutes, or until slightly toasted and fragrant. Transfer to a plate and let cool to room temperature.
2. Put the cooled almonds and the sugar into a food processor and process until fine. Add the butter, egg, and vanilla extract and pulse until well-combined. If you don't want to use it right away, divide the frangipane into four equal parts, wrap each tightly in plastic. They will keep in the fridge for a couple of days, and up to a month in the freezer.

Pie Crust
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 stick butter (cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
3~5 tbsp water (iced and cold)

Directions:
1. Pulse the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor to mix. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, about 6-8 times.
2. Add a tablespoon of water at a time pulsing in between until it starts to clump together to form a ball.
3. Place the dough on a clean surface and shape it into a disc and wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Assembling the Fig Tart
1. Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
2. Roll out your pastry dough to about 10-inch diameter - more or less won't harm anything.

3. Spread about 1/4 of the quantity of frangipane on the dough, leaving about 1 inch parameter around the outer edge of the dough. (If adding the cream cheese, add cream cheese, then layer the frangipane on top).

* With the frangipane.


* With the cream cheese.


* Assembling the frangipane on top.

4. Quarter the figs (only halve if small) and arrange them -pointy end up will be prettier- in concentric circles to cover the frangipane. (I just sliced them into 1/3-in slices to make it easier).

5. Fold the edges in, pinching a little to make sure they stick. If you want, you can brush the dough with eggwash and give it a good shower of sugar. Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until the pastry edges are golden brown. Or, if making 2 tarts, then bake for 25~30 minutes.

* Sealed edges.


* Applying egg wash mixture.


* Sprinkled with sugar and ready to pop in the oven.

6. Serve while warm or cooled.


Slice anyone?


Huge figs!


Happy baking everyone! :D

4 comments:

Simone Muller said...

I am pure(good)envy now...Oh I want to eat fresh figs so bad!!

They look gorgeous in you galette.Very nice step-by-step pics.

Thanks for sharing.

Faye said...

a very nice back in the us of a creation! looks so yummy....

Michelle said...

Simone Muller, Thank you! :D I love fresh figs and I'm really thankful that they grow in my yard! :) I wish I can send you some because they're really good~ '

Faye, Hello! It feels great to be back! I bought your stuff in Korea...couldn't get pretty ones though :( But, I'll be sending it soon so please send me your address in a PM! :D

Faye said...

i know the feeling... there's no place like home and nothing is more comfy than your own bed ha ha ha... and thanks for the thingy he he he...
will pm you for the addy.