Friday, June 11, 2010

Ube Cheesecake

Two days ago, I made Ube Cheesecake and let me tell you, I'm not too fond of ube, but it was indeed delicious! :D I made a slight booboo while making this cheesecake. It may be because I was tired from exams, but I didn't align the sides of the springform pan with the graham cracker mixture, but instead, lined the bottom only. I don't know what I was thinking, haha! Anyways, this is a nice and dense cheesecake...it's particular best for those that actually enjoy the taste of cream cheese! It's definitely on the more dense side because it doesn't contain any sour cream or anything to make it "lighter." Anyways, I hope you enjoy this recipe adapted from Faye and I'll be MIA from the kitchen for awhile. It really does suck because I want to be baking since it's summer time but I'm taking a trip/study abroad in Korea during the summer and I don't really have access to a kitchen. But, I will definitely be updating with pictures of different foods I eat during my stay there. Good day & happy baking everyone! :D

Ube Cheesecake
Ingredients:
Crust:
2 cups graham crumbs
6 tbsp melted unsalted butter

Filling:
4 cups softened cream cheese
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (the original calls for 1 cup)
3 extra large eggs (the original calls for 4)
2 tbsp ube flavoring
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Pulse the graham crumbs and melted butter in a food processor. Press into a springform pan evenly to the bottom and a little bit to the sides. Set aside.

3. Using a stand up mixer, cream softened cream cheese and sugar till smooth for about 5 minutes.

4. Add the eggs one at a time and continue beating.
5. Add the ube flavoring and vanilla extract and continue beating. Continue mixing till creamy and silky for about an additional 3 minutes.

6. Pour into prepared pan and bake for an hour.
7. Turn off the oven but leave the cake inside till the oven cools down. (I recommend placing a foil over the cake so it doesn't dry.)

8. Cool completely before chilling in the fridge before serving.
* Note: It helps if you bake your cake in a bain marie or water bath to avoid cracks. Just place the cheesecake in the middle of a baking sheet and pour boiled water around the edges.

Good day & happy baking everyone! :D

13 comments:

ajcabuang04 said...

The first thing that came to mind when I saw "ube" was are you filipino?! haha. I'm filipino and at almost every party, we have an ube cake that we buy. Your cheesecake looks great though!!

Michelle said...

ajcabuang, Nope I'm not Filipino~ haha, but a friend of mine from Soompi sent me ube flavoring and I'm glad I tried it :D It was good~ haha...and what kind of ube cakes do you have during your parties? Like what type of cakes? I think ube angel food cake would be super delicious...I'm hooked on angel food cakes these days~ haha :D And thank you! :) Oh yea, and I hope you share some Filipino desserts on your blog too! Happy baking~

Gali said...

Oh wow! That is one funky colour!

cheesecake recipe said...

I love cheesecake and I'm loving the color of this one, lavender! Really cool! I will definitely try this one, well basically because it's cheesecake and secondly because I love the color, lol! I think I'm going to surprise hubby with this one. Were both cheesecake addicts by the way, lol!

Addicted said...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=12583466&id=818035322#!/pages/Paris-France/David-Lebovitz/105167518810?ajaxpipe=1&__a=11

Addicted said...

In case if you havent seen yet...awesome!:)

ajcabuang04 said...

Hey! So I started following your blog :) But at our parties we have a ube cake which is sort of like a sponge cake flavored with ube and is slightly sweet and it has a filling of some sort of frosting mixed in with macapuno cococnut and frosted with a slightly sweet frosting. Really good! I hope you follow my blog too. hehe.

Michelle said...

Gali, You're right, it is a bit eccentric but it's very pretty :D

cheesecake recipe, Thank you! I hope you like the flavor of the ube :D I tried it for the first time several days ago and it's pretty good :)

Addicted, Oh wow~ I didn't even notice! I've been following David Lebovitz's blog for some time but never saw his FB page, I "liked" it :) haha~ Thanks :D

ajcabuang04, Hello :D I started following your blog yesterday (or a few days ago)...haha :) Your food looks good & I hope you share some Filipino baked goods next time as well :)

Anonymous said...

looks yum--can you use ube powder? where can you get ube flavoring?

Michelle said...

Anonymous, Thanks! Umm...I don't think you can use ube powder for this recipe...ube flavoring is sold in Filipino stores...I actually haven't been able to find ube flavoring myself but a friend of mine sent it to me :D

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just curious, what camera do you use? so nice your pics! ^^ thanks!

Michelle said...

Anonymous, Thanks for stopping by :) I use a d3000 for these most of these pictures :)

Natalie said...

Is ube flavoring the same as ube extract ?