Spring Rolls are definitely one of my favorite foods. They're simple to make - there's not much cooking involved - and the taste is very clean. There's many different spring roll recipes out there...some as simple as shrimp and romaine lettuce and some with an extravagant list of ingredients. Today, I want to share with you my simple spring roll recipe...you can add/take out any ingredients you'd like. It's perfect for cleaning out the fridge!
Warm Water in a shallow dish
2 lbs large/jumbo shrimp (deveined) or 2 lbs of marinated spicy pork *If using shrimp, you need salt, pepper, 3 tbsp butter, white wine to sautee.
1 head of romaine lettuce
6 sticks of imitation crab
2 cups of mungbean sprouts (washed)
3 persian cucumbers
1/4 cup ground chili paste
1/3 cup hoison sauce
2 tbsp chili sauce (Sriracha)
juice of half a lemon
1. If cooking shrimp, melt butter and add shrimp to a pan. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, add a drizzle of white wine, and cook for 3 minutes or until pink. If cooking pork, add marinated pork to a pan until cooked thoroughly.
2. Wash romaine lettuce and julienne it into small pieces along with persian cucumbers. Tear sticks of imitation crab into bite sized pieces. Slice avocado and tomatoes in 1/8 inch pieces. If serving later, make sure to drizzle some lemon juice on the avocados to prevent browning. Wash mungbean sprouts and set aside.
3. For the sauce, mix all four ingredients until thoroughly incorporated (you can also use a more traditional peanut sauce if you want).
4. To assemble, soak the rice paper into the warm water for about 10 seconds. Flip over and do the same for an additional 5 seconds. Add desired fillings and pour sauce as well (start off with a little bit a sauce, then gradually increase as desired...it might be too hot!)
5. Wrap up the rice paper and eat~