Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pandan Angel Food Cake

Has anyone tried pandan before? I didn't even know what pandan was or what it tasted like prior to baking this Pandan Angel Food Cake. And let me tell you, I was once a strict vanilla and lemon extract lover, but I've converted...pandan flavoring is definitely my favorite now :D It's so good...the taste is a bit difficult to describe...I feel like it's a mixture of a vanilla flavor fused with some hazelnut flavoring. Anyways, it's super good! I think everyone should give this one a try! ^^ The recipe is the basic Angel Food Cake recipe from Faye. It's a fool proof recipe as long as you make sure to beat your egg whites to soft peaks and as long as you take your time folding in the sugar/flour mixture!

Pandan Angel Food Cake
Ingredients:
1 ½ cups egg whites (10-12 large), room temperature
1 ½ cups castor or baker's sugar, divided
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp pandan flavoring
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp green vegetable food
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes for garnish (toasted)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together ¾ cup sugar and the cake flour. Set aside.
3. In another bowl (make sure it is large since the egg whites grow in size during the whipping process), beat egg whites until frothy, then add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until fully incorporated then begin to add the remaining ¾ cup of sugar 1-2 tablespoons at a time.
4. When sugar has been added, beat egg whites to soft peaks. You will know when you have soft peaks because the egg whites will look like soft waves and when you lift the beaters, the peaks will droop back down into the batter. If your batter is falling in ribbons, it is not quite down. Don't be afraid to slow down the mixer and check a few times as you get close. Do not beat all the way to stiff peaks.
5. Once you have soft peaks, add the vanilla and fruit flavorings/extracts and beat for a few seconds to evenly distribute.
6. Sift the flour/sugar mixture over the egg whites in 6-8 additions (depending on your proficiency with folding flour into egg whites) and gently fold it in after each addition. It is better to take your time and do it gently than to rush and deflate the egg whites.
7. Spoon batter into an ungreased 9 inch tube pan with a removeable bottom. Smooth the top with a spatula and tap the pan on the counter once or twice to ensure that there are no large bubbles lurking beneath the surface. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
8. Remove from oven an invert pan over a bottle. Allow to cool completely or overnight. Gently run a thin knife around the sides, then around the bottom, of the pan to release the cake when you are ready to serve it. Use a serrated knife to slice in a sawing motion - use the knife as you would a saw because the cake springs back when you touch it.

Whipped Coconut Creme Frosting
Ingredients:
1 cup softened cream cheese or neufchatel cheese
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tsp coconut flavor
2 cups cool whip, well chilled

Directions:
1. Whip cream cheese and confectioner's sugar till creamy. Add coconut flavoring and continue beating with an electric mixer. Fold in cool whip (but do not beat).
2. Chill until firm then using a spatula spread the frosting evenly on half of the cake then put the other half on top. Spread some more of the frosting on top and on the sides. Top with toasted coconut flakes and the sides as well. Chill before serving.

9 comments:

cocoabee said...

wow that looks amazing! but what do you do with the egg yolks? =(

Michelle said...

cocoabee, Thank you! haha :D Sometimes I either make a roll cake, make egg yolk sponge cake, or sometimes discard it.

Anonymous said...

Can this be made into a loaf? :D

Michelle said...

Hello anonymous! It can be made in a loaf pan but the middle will slightly fall~ :D GL!

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to find castar sugar anywhere ): I looked at Target and Lucky's but I can't seem to find it. I tried looking for a bag of castar sugar at Lucky's for 10 minutes but couldn't seem to find it. Where do you purchase your castar sugar and how does it look? If I can't find it, can I just blend regular granulated sugar? Thanks for your reply =)

Michelle said...

Hello Anonymous! Caster sugar is pretty much the same thing as superfine sugar! I found it in my local Vons~ You can also use regular granulated sugar as well - I tried it this way and the results were very similar. Or, you can grind regular granulated sugar in a coffee grinder or a food processor to make it smaller! Hope you like it :D

ashley said...

Hi Michelle! I just wanted to say that I made this cake about 2 weeks ago and although whisking the egg whites were a pain (being my first time making angel food cake), the cake was a SUCCESS! :) My family and I loved it (me, especially)! The taste was great too. It was so pretty taking it out and cutting it open. I will definitely be making this recipe again. thank you so much for sharing! :) ♥ happy baking!

Michelle said...

Ashley, Thanks for stopping by to comment :D I'm really glad that your family liked it! :D And, I definitely agree that the egg whites are difficult to whip up the first time...I guess it takes some patience? haha :) Anyways, hope you have a great day! Happy baking~ :D

Amylia said...

Hi! I don't think Cool Whip is available in my country. Would you recommend I but heavy cream and whip it myself as a substitute? and if so, what would be the recommended measurements? Thanks! :D