Thursday, May 20, 2010

Banana Loaf with Oat Topping

As soon as I came home today, I noticed the overripe bananas laying in the room. I knew I had to bake something! Instead of the usual banana nut muffins, I decided to go ahead and make a banana loaf...with a nice crunchy oat topping to complement the flavors of the loaf. This loaf is incredibly moist and flavorful and I think it would be my go-to banana loaf recipe for now :D This yummy banana loaf is from Joanne Chang's kitchen, Flour's Famous Banana Bread. The oat topping is an old recipe that I had lying in the drawer. Don't let your old bananas go to waste...hope you all enjoy this recipe!

Flour's Famous Banana Bread with Oat Topping
Ingredients:
Banana Bread:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (I used 1 cup)
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed (I used 4 cups)
2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream (I used yogurt)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (I omitted this)

Oat Topping:
2 tbsp cold butter (cut into small pieces)
3 1/2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup rolled oats

Directions:
Set oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper or you can grease and flour it as well.

In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs with a whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Drizzle in oil.

Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche (or yogurt), and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts.

Pour into a lined loaf pan. Meanwhile, combine oat topping with a fork until crumbly. Top the banana loaf with the oat topping and allow it to bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour. Allow the loaf to cool on a rack, then serve.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

this bread seems so yummy !