Friday, April 30, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

Nothing beats fresh cinnamon rolls baked straight from the oven. The ooey gooey aspect of the melted brown sugar which creates a molasses-caramel flavor as well as the slight crunch from the walnuts and pecans are definitely one of those matches made in heaven! Combined with raisins that were steeped till plump, the cinnamon filling is absolutely delicious, not to mention very sinful. It's perfect with a simple glaze on top which enhances the sweetness from the buns. I am a true cinnamon roll lover and I think it's best eaten with a drizzle of warm caramel sauce over the top (albeit the additional calories). Unfortunately for me, I was only able to take a small bite since I made a promise to myself to cut back (almost entirely) the sweets in my life for a good 2 months. It was a good bite...though I am SO VERY tempted to eat the whole bun! Whoever invented cinnamon rolls, I have very ambivalent feelings toward him/her...amen to them for creating this goodie but it really does suck that the butter component is must! Anyways, please give my cinnamon roll recipe a try...I think you'll enjoy them!

Warning: This is NOT a figure-friendly food but it IS a tummy-friendly food :D


Michelle's Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients:
Dough:
2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
1 cup warm milk (divided into 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup butter (melted)
1 tsp sea salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 2/3 cups + 1 tbsp AP flour (you may need more/less)

Filling:
1/3 cup butter, plus more for pan & topping (softened)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins (steeped in warm water)
1/4 cup pecans (chopped)
1/4 cup walnuts (chopped)
1/4 chocolate chips (optional)

Glaze:
3 tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2~4 tablespoons warm milk


Directions:

1. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup warm milk with yeast and set aside. In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup milk, white sugar, butter, sea salt, egg, and vanilla until incorporated. Add 1 1/2 cups of AP flour and mix. Add in the yeast mixture and the remaining flour. Combine until incorporated.
2. Lightly flour a surface. Knead the dough for 8 minutes or until smooth.
3. In a greased bowl, place the dough and cover with a wet paper towel. Place it in a dry area (I usually put it on top of my stove) and allow it to rise until it has doubled in size (approximately 2 hours).
4. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Combine both sugars, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, and pecans. Set aside.
5. When the dough has risen to double the size, place it on a lightly floured surface and punch the dough. Roll it out to a 14x9 inch rectangle. Smear the 1/3 cup of softened butter across the entire dough, leaving 1/2 inch on the outer edge free from butter and filling. Spread the filling throughout the dough.
6. Roll the cinnamon buns into a log shape, pinch the edges, and cut into 14 buns. Place cinnamon rolls onto a well-buttered pan (cut side down) and cover. Allow it to rise for 50 more minutes. Then, bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 25~30 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Mix melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Add in powdered sugar and mix until there are no lumps.
8. When the cinnamon rolls are out from the oven, brush with some melted butter. Then drizzle the glaze on top while the buns are still warm (but not hot). You can also add caramel at this point.


Enjoy~ And like I always say, feel free to amend to your own tastes and try new things!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! These Cinnamon rolls looks deadly! Can't wait to give these a try... thanks for sharing the recipe! I saw your post for chocolate stawberry loaf - that looks awesome! I have some strawberries that I need to use up - care to share the recipe???

happy baking!
LeeYong rolfmester@yahoo.com

M Cho said...

Thank you! I think you'll enjoy these cinnamon rolls! Please upload pictures if you bake them later on :D And as for the chocolate strawberry loaf, I wish I had the recipe but I don't have it anymore :( I accidentally threw it away! I'm sorry about that! But if you want, it's pretty much a chocolate cake recipe and a strawberry cake recipe...and I assembled the two by adding 1 layer, then the next (with different cakes) and swirled them using a toothpick! Anyways, thanks again & sorry about that! Hope you have a great day!! :D

grace said...

drool, drool, drool, and drool. also, drool. :)

M Cho said...

Grace: Tehe~ Thank you :D I just checked out the foods on your blog too! They looks so amazing too! I'm gonna try one of your recipes soon! :D