Monday, February 15, 2010

Blueberry Banana Muffins

So after going baking the sugar cookies and making the hodduk with pre-made packages, I believe it's time to get back to making food from scratch! Yay! I'm sick today which sucks, but I was really craving some warm blueberry muffins since I had a package left in the refrigerator that needed to be used. After finding several recipes online, I felt that they were excellent by all means, but had too much in the sugar department...especially with all the crumb toppings. I absolutely adore crumb toppings but for some odd reason today, I was craving for something more neutral in terms of sugar content. Thus, I decided to bake blueberry muffins with a slight hint of banana flavoring in the background. These are not too sweet and perfect with a cup of coffee or if you're like me, a cup of tea. Yummy~

Blueberry Muffins (Adapted from "To Die for Blueberry Muffins" from All Recipes)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1/3 + 1 tsp cup fat-free milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup of mashed banana (1 small banana)
*Note: you can also add a bit of lemon zest or some chopped walnuts or pecans if you want!

Before starting, preheat your oven to 400 F. Line 9 muffin tins with muffin cups.

Mix flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder and set aside. Mix oil, vanilla extract, egg, and milk together.


Mash one small banana with a fork, then add the banana and wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Be careful not to overmix! Toss the fresh blueberries with about 1 tbsp of flour until lightly coated. Fold into the batter. You can also add lemon zest or nuts at this time...but again, be careful not to overmix!


Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 of the way up. You can add a crumb topping if you like, or you can skip that step like me :D Bake for 16-22 minutes! Time to eat!


Enjoy!

6 comments:

BrandiRRoberts said...

This sounds good! I'm going to make them for my ma on Mother's Day :)

M Cho said...

Thank you! :D Tell me how they taste~ I think if your mom like sweets, you should increase the sugar content (2~3 tbsp) just because I made this muffin very neutral so it's not sweet :D Good luck making it and I hope you & your mother have a wonderful Mother's Day! :D

Me said...

Me too, making for my mum!

M Cho said...

That's great! :D Oh yes, I also have a banana nut muffin recipe which I like better (it's on the first page)...you can also try that recipe out! :D Good luck~!

BrandiRRoberts said...

They turned out very well! Everyone enjoyed them :)

M Cho said...

I'm glad your family enjoyed them! Hope you guys had a wonderful time :D